St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church, York PA
Worshiping God with St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church Learning about God with St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church Growing with God with St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church Fellowship with God with St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church Serving God with St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church Rejoicing God with St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church
Top image

Image of St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church Steeple
Brief History

St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church began meeting as a Sunday School organized by members of nearby Union Lutheran Church in the Carlisle Street School house on August 15th, 1886. Dr. Monroe Alleman, Doctor of Divinity, was the first Pastor. St. Matthew was incorporated and became a member congregation of the West Pennsylvania Synod in October 1889. Ten years later the congregation had grown so large that the building had to be enlarged.

St. Matthew continued to grow. The cornerstone for the first Market Street building was laid on July 8, 1906. That afternoon 450 members marched from the old schoolhouse location to the new West Market Street location for this great event.

On January 6, 1907, the first Sunday service was held in the new building and in March of that year the parsonage was completed.

Once in the new church building, one of the congregation's longest continued ministries began. On June 26, 1907, Luther League began and still meets several times a month for Christian fellowship, service and learning for the youth of St. Matthew and the community. Also, the Sunday Church School became a vital ministry of service and learning. Even today, Sunday Church School remains an integral part of the congregation's life.

On February 19, 1933, the church again needed to enlarge. Groundbreaking for the nave began on that day with the cornerstone being laid on May 7th of that year. When the church was dedicated April 15, 1934, the congregation had grown so large that two services needed to be held each Sunday.

The live radio broadcast of worship services began in January of 1935 and continues today each Sunday at 11:00 am on WOYK 1350AM and www.woyk1350.com . Member sponsored broadcasts provide this ministry to thousands of listeners within and far beyond the greater York community. It is believed to be the longest running mainline Protestant radio broadcast in the country.

The J. B. Baker Parish Hall was constructed and dedicated in the early 1950's adding much needed space for children and youth ministries. Another major building project was conducted in the mid 1960's. This time, the 1906 building was razed and a new structure providing a gymnasium, youth center, scout rooms, classrooms, gathering space and nursery space was built. Again ministry to children, youth and adults was emphasized. To meet the needs of the 21st Century ministry, the congregation embarked on a major building renovation project in 2010. The facility now includes an office suite, pipe organ, gathering space and is handicap accessible.

St. Matthew has had ten Pastors and several Associate Pastors, Of note, thirty members of St. Matthew have entered full time Christian ministry.

Through many challenging national and local events and issues, St. Matthew Church continued to minister to thousands of people. In recent years, the congregation has shown renewed growth and vigor, strengthed existing ministries and developed new opportunities to share the Christian Gospel with the world. The present Pastoral Staff includes The Rev. Kevin T. Shively, Lead Pastor; The Rev. Keith C. Fair, Associate Pastor; and The Rev. Patricia Snyder, Visitation Pastor.




St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church • 839 West Market St. • York, PA 17401-3607
©2017 St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church. All rights reserved.

Please be aware, from time to time, St. Matthew photographers will be taking pictures or videos of church events. These could be used in church publications and the St. Matthew website.